South Dakota is a large state comprised mostly of rural communities. It is the fifth least densely populous state in the country, carrying a population of 833,354 as of 2012. Agricultural production in South Dakota is high, which allows for abundant work in farming and ranching. This state also has a thriving array of tourist attractions that create jobs from border to border. The average worker in South Dakota earns a little over $36,000 a year. That is plenty sufficient for SD because the standard of living here is lower than most.
Mount Marty College
- About the School: Mount Mary College is a private Catholic university with over 1100 students on its campus. The school accepts students of all faiths, and it offers a wide variety of degree programs to choose from. There are several branches of MMC in the state of South Dakota, with different degrees available in each one.
- Laptop Programs: Mount Mary College has a partnership with ThinkPad University that allows them to offer computers to students for a heavily discounted price. The computers are pre-equipped with all of the software students need for their degrees, and each computer comes with a three year warranty from the factory. There are upgrade options available through this program as well.
- Degrees and Programs Offered: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Elementary Education, English, Exercise Wellness, Graphic Design, History, Human Service, Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Psychology, Recreation Management, Religious Studies, Secondary Education, Special Education, Theatre, Medical Laboratory Science, Forensic Science, Radiological Technology, Accounting, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Interdisciplinary Studies, Nursing, Human Resource Management, Management, Office Management
- Web Address: MTMC.edu/
- Awards and Accreditations: HLC, COA, CCNE, SDSBE
Southeast Technical Institute
- About the School: Southeast Technical Institute is located in Sioux Falls, SD, and it offers many career-based degree programs. Many of the degrees here can be completed in less than two years, especially in the case of diplomas and certificates. STI offers classes online and on campus for many of its degree programs, allowing students to study on their own schedule.
- Laptop Programs: Southeast Technical Institute has a unique laptop program that involves a Conditional Sales Agreement. In that, the student agrees to pay for the laptop and get all the software he or she needs through a license with the school. The laptops cannot be returned to the school. If a student chooses to drop out or take a leave of absence, he or she is still responsible for paying for the computer. The license issued for the software will be revoked or the student will have to pay for the software on the device. Despite the technicalities of this laptop program, it does allow students to get the exact computer they need for a fraction of the price. Some students can also use their existing computers with the school's software if they are enrolled in specific degree programs.
- Degrees and Programs Offered: Computer Network Security, Computer Programming, Computer Technician, Network Administrator, Software Support Specialist, System Administrator, Biomedical Equipment Technology, Electronics Technology, Mechatronics Technology, Accounting, Administrative Assistant, Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, Financial Services, Insurance and Financial Services, Marketing, Sales, Media Communications, Digital Media Production Technology, Graphic Media Design Technology, Architectural Engineering Technology, Civil Engineering Technology, Construction Management Technology, Land Surveying Science Technology, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Allied Health, Cardiac Ultrasound Technology, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, ElectroNeuroDiagnostic Technology, Health Information Services, Invasive Cardiovascular Technology, Licensed Practical Nursing, Medical Coding, Nuclear Medicine Technology, Pharmacy Technician, Phlebotomy, Registered Nursing, Surgical Technology, Vascular Ultrasound Technology, Horticulture Technology, Landscape Design Technology, Sports Turf Management Technology, Early Childhood Specialist, Early Childhood Support, Law Enforcement Science, Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning/Refrigeration (HVAC/R) , Plumbing, Residential Heating & Air Conditioning Technology, Welding, Automotive Technology, Collision Repair & Refinish Technology, Diesel Technology
- Web Address: SoutheastTech.edu
- Awards and Accreditations: HLC, NATEF, CAAHEP, JRCNMT, LEOTC, HVAC Excellence, ASHP
- About the School: Independence University boasts one of the longest standing online education programs in the country, with over 37 years of distance education offerings. Independence University is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools, a recognized accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education. As a non-profit university, Independence University is uniquely situated to provide their students with a great return on their education investment.
- Laptop Program: Students enrolled at Independence University qualify to receive both a tablet and a laptop. The tablet is shipped to the student upon enrollment and the laptop is shipped at the beginning of the student’s fourth module. All the software you need to complete your degree program is included. Students keep the laptop upon graduation. Tablets and Laptops are not issued to graduate or completion program students.
- Web Address: https://www.independence.edu/
- Programs Offered: Business Management & Accounting, Graphic Arts, Medical Specialties, Respiratory Therapy, Healthcare Administration, Information Systems, Master of Business Administration, Master of Business Administration with an Entrepreneurship emphasis, Master of Public Health, Nursing Administration, Nursing Education, Accounting, Accounting with a Forensic Accounting emphasis, Business Administration, Business Administration with a Human Resources emphasis, Business Administration with a New Media Marketing emphasis, Business Administration with a Technology emphasis, Business Administration with an Asset Management emphasis, Graphic Arts with an Information Design emphasis, Health Information Management, Health Services Management, Networking & Information Systems Security, Nursing (RN to BS Completion), Respiratory Care with a Respiratory Care Management concentration, Respiratory Care with an Advanced Clinical Practice concentration, Software & Mobile Applications Development, Web Design and Development
- Accreditation: ACCSC