Iowa is home to over 3 million people, and nearly half of them hold a job. In 2012, the Bureau of Labor Statistics determined that there were 1.47 million employed residents in the state, earning an average of $15.33 an hour. While a large portion of these employees work in sales and production, the thriving farms in IA account for much of the state's economic stability. Iowa is considered one of the safest states to live in, and it is a great place to raise a family.
Buena Vista University
- About the School: Buena Vista University is a small school in Storm Lake, Iowa that holds about 900 full-time students each year. According to a survey for the class of 2013, 97% of graduates start a career or attend grad school within 6 months of earning their undergraduate degrees at BVU. The university has a fantastic financial aid department, providing over $13 million in assistance last year to students in need. If you want small class sizes without sacrificing the quality of your education, BVU is a great school to consider.
- Laptop Programs: In 2000, BVU became the first school in the United States to have a fully wireless campus. In honor of that commitment to technology, each student at BVU receives an HP ProBook or Apple MacBook upon enrollment. Students also receive an iPad 2 to use for the duration of their degree program. Students may use these devices to receive digital textbooks if they prefer them over printed textbooks.
- Degrees and Programs Offered: Accounting, Art History, Athletic Training, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Computer Science, Criminology, Digital Media, Economics, Education, English, Environmental Science, Finance, Graphic Design, Human Resource Management, Mathematics, Music, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Spanish, Special Education, Sports Management, Television and Video, and Theatre
- Web Address: BVU.edu
- Awards and Accreditations: HLC
Des Moines University
- About the School: Des Moines University is a graduate school for health sciences careers. The university was founded in 1898, and since then it has expanded to include nine expansive and comprehensive graduate programs in medicine. DMU is located in Des Moines, Iowa, and it has a total enrollment of over 1,800 students. 54% of the students at this school are women, and 66% of students are recruited from other states to attend DMU.
- Laptop Programs: Students are issued a laptop and a handheld computer to use during their clinicals and schooling at DMU. The school features a fully wireless campus so students can utilize their laptops no matter where they are. All of the laptops in this program can be converted to tablets for convenience. After graduating from DMU, students are able to keep their computers for personal use in their careers.
- Degrees and Programs Offered: Osteopathic Medicine, Physical Therapy, Post-Professional DPT, Podiatric Medicine, Anatomy, Biomedical Science, Health Care Administration, Physician Assistant, and Public Health
- Web Address: DMU.edu
- Awards and Accreditations: IAC, HLC, COCA, CAPTE, CPME, CAHME, CEPH, ARCEPA
- About the School: Loras College is 175 years old, and it caters to approximately 1,600 full time students each year. 94% of the faculty members here hold a Ph.D in their respective fields, and the student teacher ratio for each class is 13:1. There are over 40 undergraduate majors and minors to choose from here, as well as 55 clubs and 80 intramural activities. In 2012, 100% of incoming students received Loras scholarships.
- Laptop Programs: Students are issued laptops during the enrollment process at Loras College. The school caries insurance on the laptops, and the computers themselves come with factory warranties. Students are taught how to care for their laptops during orientation because any non-warranted repairs must be paid for by the student. The school has printing areas throughout the campus that students may use with their laptops.
- Degrees and Programs Offered: Art and Digital Design, Athletic Training, Biochemistry, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Computing & Information Technology, Criminal Justice, Economics, Education, English, History, Music, Neuroscience, Philosophy, Public Relations, Religious Studies, Social Work, and Sport Management
- Web Address: Loras.edu
- Awards and Accreditations: HLC
- About the School: Morningside College is a liberal arts school affiliated with the United Methodist Church. The school was established in 1894 and has been serving the Sioux City community for 120 years now. The student population here is over 1,200, with most of the students coming from Iowa and Nebraska. MC maintains a small student-to-instructor ratio of 13:1.
- Laptop Programs: Full-time students are issued a loaner laptop to use while they attend Morningside College. The school offers new computers to those students every two years. The laptops are complete with a software suite and a three year parts and labor warranty. Technical support is available on campus.
- Degrees and Programs Offered: Art, Biology, Business Administration, Chemistry, Computer Science, Education, English, History, International Affairs, Music, Nursing, Political Science, Psychology, and Religious Studies.
- Web Address: Morningside.edu
- Awards and Accreditations: HLC, IDE, IBN, CCNE, NASM, USUMC
- About the School: Waldorf College is located in Forest City, Iowa. It offers degree programs online and on campus so students can choose the perfect learning method for their needs. The school is founded in religious faith, but it does accept students of secular backgrounds. Most degree programs consist of at least one course in theology. WC is a liberal arts college that utilizes state-of-the-art technology, like i-clickers, to help students interact in the classroom. The learning experience here is unlike any other.
- Laptop Programs: All Waldorf students are issued laptops to use during their time at the college. The school provides free technical support for issues that come up with the laptops. WC also offer print stations on campus that students can use to print papers for school. The laptops must be returned before the last day of finals week, unless the student is enrolled in another semester.
- Degrees and Programs Offered: Biology, Business, Communications, Creative Writing, Criminal Justice, Education, English, Fire Science Administration, Foundations of Education, History, Humanities, International Management, Music, Organizational Leadership, Psychology, Sport Management, Theatre Arts, and Wellness
- Web Address: Waldorf.edu
- Awards and Accreditations: HLC
- About the School: Independence University boasts one of the longest standing online education programs in the country, with over 37 years of distance education offerings. Independence University is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools, a recognized accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education. As a non-profit university, Independence University is uniquely situated to provide their students with a great return on their education investment.
- Laptop Program: Students enrolled at Independence University qualify to receive both a tablet and a laptop. The tablet is shipped to the student upon enrollment and the laptop is shipped at the beginning of the student’s fourth module. All the software you need to complete your degree program is included. Students keep the laptop upon graduation. Tablets and Laptops are not issued to graduate or completion program students.
- Web Address: https://www.independence.edu/
- Programs Offered: Business Management & Accounting, Graphic Arts, Medical Specialties, Respiratory Therapy, Healthcare Administration, Information Systems, Master of Business Administration, Master of Business Administration with an Entrepreneurship emphasis, Master of Public Health, Nursing Administration, Nursing Education, Accounting, Accounting with a Forensic Accounting emphasis, Business Administration, Business Administration with a Human Resources emphasis, Business Administration with a New Media Marketing emphasis, Business Administration with a Technology emphasis, Business Administration with an Asset Management emphasis, Graphic Arts with an Information Design emphasis, Health Information Management, Health Services Management, Networking & Information Systems Security, Nursing (RN to BS Completion), Respiratory Care with a Respiratory Care Management concentration, Respiratory Care with an Advanced Clinical Practice concentration, Software & Mobile Applications Development, Web Design and Development
- Accreditation: ACCSC